Wednesday, November 24, 2010
"To the extent that it is cost effective to do so, beginning in 2025 the annual retail electric sales of each electrical corporation providing power across state lines shall consist of qualifying electricity or renewable energy certificates in an amount equal to at least 20% of adjusted retail electric sales."
Utah has Renewable Energy Goals as State Law.
"To the extent that it is cost effective to do so, beginning in 2025 the annual retail electric sales in this state of each electrical corporation shall consist of qualifying electricity or renewable energy certificates in an amount equal to at least 20% of adjusted retail electric sales."
The bill that was passed:
Curtis S. Bramble, Utah State Senator (R), District 16 invited all groups effected or interested that would sit at the table to get involved in the bill. In this case, Senator Bramble was a consensus builder. No one voted against this bill, House or Senate. That is what we need nationally, and it isn't happening.
Does it work? See:
Monday, November 22, 2010
Allow private health care insurance companies and providers to have policies/plans that cross state lines with the following rules:
1. A Limitation of Liability can be set for errors and omissions provided it is at least $250,000 per case and $500,000 per year. All medical disputes between provider/insurer and/or insured shall be submitted to nonbinding mediation unless the parties mutually agree otherwise. Binding Arbitration shall not be forced on any party.
2. Insured can find out the itemized cost of all non-emergency health care in advance and agree to the any and/or all amounts in advance.
3. Insurance and/or Health Care Providers must provide incentives for Preventative Care, Health Savings Accounts and High Deductible accounts.
4. All Health Insurance premiums paid by insured, self-employed or employer are tax deductible at the federal level.
5. All Health Insurance plans are portable, including between employer, or insured locations within the US.
6. There is to be no waiting period for preexisting conditions.
7. Insurance Providers must also provide plans for High Risk patients.
8. Health Care Providers part of this system of allowances and rules can refuse emergency care or free care for non-emergency needs.
9. Insurance and/or Health Care Providers may not be required to pay for abortions.
10. Laws against waste, fraud and abuse by insured/insurance/providers will be enforced.
Friday, November 19, 2010
We may not agree with each other re: Co2 cap/trade, taxes, or our effects on climate.
We do need more renewable energy. Coal is reportedly being removed fast enough in Utah that it could last only 15 to 45 years for use in Utah at current rates.
Many existing coal source locations could shut down soon, and we have increased risk of other mining collapses if they don't.
We will need more electricity to offset a reduction in the use of foreign oil, and we can't afford to just rely on coal.
How much oil and gas is untapped in Utah and can we get it without hurting our state treasures?
Do we have existing dams that we could add hydro power to, without putting more land underwater, hurting our rivers and/or wildlife?
What percentage of the energy we make should be exported? How close to a balance can we get?
It has been pointed out that renewable energy will help the state's economy in places that coal, or gas won't. Renewable energy being added to the mix will increase the life of the Utah coal economy.
Having goals to rely on renewable energy and energy savings to make up the increased demand on power is good.
You can't let everyone show up for the same movie or there would be no place to sit, and you do need some reasonable security and rules.
Why do we make immigration more complicated?
If we are going to have a line for people to come to this country, you can't reward those that bypass the line. They need to be sent to the back of the line. That doesn't mean you should stop treating them like people.
Thursday, November 18, 2010
It is time earmarks were no longer the return on investment for big money, incumbents re-election campaigns, or lobbyists.
A city shouldn't have to pay some lobbyist to donate to a campaign fund of someone back in DC to get the help they need from the federal government.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
The US Constitution, including the Bill of Rights, takes precedence over any State or Federal Law, and/or any government agency set of rules. It is time that TSA have their wings clipped.
Thursday, November 11, 2010
We need to remove and not create any rewards and incentives for immigrants to come here and be here illegally.
Immigrants that are here illegally should not have the ability to become United States Citizens prior to those outside the U.S. applying to come legally.
We do need to treat all, even those breaking our laws, as human beings.
Citizenship, if desired and qualified for, must be applied for with the application from the country of origin, (unless qualifying for asylum) and behind those that have been waiting legally there.