Sunday, March 18, 2012

2012 General Session Weeks Five through Seven

2012 General Session Update:

If you have not already, please attend one of the remaining Question and Answer Public Meetings at the Hunter Library, 4740 West 4100 South West Valley City, Utah 84120

Saturday, March 24, 2012, 12:30pm to 2:30pm
Saturday, April 7, 2012, 12:30pm to 1:30pm

During the first two weeks, the legislature passed 33 bills. After four weeks that number was 118 bills. By the end of week seven that number was 478 bills:

One of those bills passed I sponsored. Of the 3 remaining bills, one passed the House and ran out of time in the Senate, one was on the 3rd Reading Calendar of the House when we stopped voting on the House bills, and one never got out of committee.

Read more about that bill here:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/53616967-82/energy-code-standards-utah.html.csp

Again, this session I sponsored 4 bills and cosponsored 8 others which can be accessed from here:

The bill I have been asked about lately is 2012 HB 363 that the Governor just vetoed. For more information about that bill see:
http://fredcox4utah.blogspot.com/2012/03/hb-363.html

A great update on the budget is at:
http://fredcox4utah.blogspot.com/2012/03/2012-session-utah-state-budget-overview.html

My 2012 General Session Floor Voting Record can be found at:
http://fredcox4utah.blogspot.com/2012/03/2012-general-session-floor-voting.html

Included in this link shows that in 2012, I tied for the best in showing up for floor votes:
http://utahdatapoints.com/2012/03/utah-legislators-with-the-best-and-worst-attendance-records-of-2012/

From the Flyer passed out at the Neighborhood Republican Caucus Elections:
Over a year ago, my friend, State House District 32 Representative Ron Bigelow accepted the invitation from Governor Herbert to be the State Budget Director. I was honored to run and was selected to be the nominee and then was appointed by the Governor to fill Rep. Bigelow’s term. I have been honored to represent State House District 32 for 2011 and will continue to work hard doing so for 2012. I just completed my second General Legislative Session.

I believe we need to stand up and be heard, or watch our Constitutional Rights disappear. As your representative, I have been heard, standing up defending good bills, amending or substituting bills to make them better, or standing up in opposition against bills that I believed should not pass.

Last year I publicly stood up to the Governor when I felt his $130 million dollar estimated tax proposal would take away critical cash flow funds from small businesses. That proposal died. I stood up to the current Utah Attorney General when he was promoting a bill to further amend our 4th Amendment Rights. That bill didn’t pass committee, even with 2 attempts.

In addition to having a bill pass both Houses last year and also this year, I substituted another’s bill that would not have passed committee or the House otherwise. I proposed an amendment to remove language from another bill that could fine school principals and districts, and when that amendment was not selected, the bill which had passed the Senate by almost a 2/3 vote, was voted down by over a 2/3 vote in the House. I also helped rescue the 2nd part of a Senate adaptive education testing bill that was stalling with opposition in the House. It then passed by over 2/3.

For 2013, a new House District 30 will represent much of this area, and during the 2012 General Election you will determine who will represent this new District 30 beginning in 2013. The New District 30 includes most of 32, part of 29 and some of 33. There are two incumbents in this race that will face each other in November. I am one of them and I ask for your vote.

Official Government and Constituent Email:
fredcox@le.utah.gov
Campaign Related Email, including volunteering, signs, donations, etc:
fred@fredcox4utah.com


I am on the following standing committees:

For this summer, I have not confirmed my committee assignments, but last year I was on the following:

Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Interim Committee
Public Utilities and Technology Interim Committee

I am already working on 8 possible bills for next year. Several are already listed on the Interim Master Study List.

More information can be found at my blog or on several social media sites which can be reached from:

Fred C. Cox, Representing State House District 32 and running to represent the new District 30