Friday, July 22, 2011

Part of an email I am getting re: Caylee's Law

This is part of an email I am getting re: Caylee's Law

"On July 5, 2011, at 1:15 pm CST, Casey Anthony was found not guilty of first degree murder in the death of her daughter Caylee Anthony. The only charges she now faces are four counts of falsifying police reports, each of which only carries a 1 year prison term. Since she has been in jail since August 2008, she will be out of jail ENTIRELY too soon.

"I'm writing to propose that a new law be put into effect making it a felony for a parent, legal guardian, or caretaker to not notify law enforcement of the death of their child, accidental or otherwise, within 1 hour of said death being discovered. This way there will be no more cases like Casey Anthony's in the courts, and no more innocent children will have to go without justice.

"Also, make it a felony for a parent, legal guardian, or caretaker to not notify law enforcement of the disappearance of a child within 24 hours, so proper steps can be taken to find that child before it's too late.

"The case of Caylee Anthony was tragic, and there is no reason for another case like this one to hit the courts. Let's do what is necessary to prevent another case like this from happening."

_________________________

My answer and response to the emails includes the following:

I have not been following this case in the news, but based on what I have read, the jury found that the prosecution didn't have enough evidence to convict the mom. I realize the mom was convicted in and by the media and most people following the news reports, but our system has people innocent until proven guilty in court.

I don't want everyone that the media thinks is guilty to be found guilty if there isn't enough evidence.

I believe the 1 day time frame in all cases may be too short of time for a law. I haven't researched to see what all the existing federal or state laws are yet.

Some are at:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/MPCmissing.html

I did research one law. In Utah, "Child abuse -- Child abandonment" is a felony. While there isn't a 24 hr. notice requirement, If you abandon your child and they get hurt, you could be in trouble.

I have spoken to the House Chair of the Utah Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Interim Committee, of which I am committee member. If Utah has laws that need to be made better, I am open to that, but I do not want to jump on this "band wagon". I have spent 6 months trying to modify a current law that was one mentioned in the article below.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/stossel/blog/2011/07/08/dead-children-make-bad-laws

I have recently heard that one member of the Utah House of Representatives has pulled a bill file to look at Utah's laws in this area.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/legislature/article_df3c4cd5-7c48-5d19-906d-3cf2b97b5183.html

[Update, see:

http://www.utahreps.net/uncategorized/rep-anderson-caylees-law-issues-already-addressed-in-utah-code ]

Thanks for writing and letting me know what you are thinking. It really helps to get others perspective.

Fred C. Cox

Utah House of Representatives, District 32