Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Licensing regulation reform question

Dear Mr. Cox,
Could you comment on the need for licensing reform (e.g., for nurses, as discussed in the article at https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/06/09/during-covid-19-cutting-red-tape-helps-front-line-nurses-save-lives/)?
Thank you.
 
Answer:
 
I am a licensed architect. In Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Oklahoma and Texas. This last year I considered getting a license in New Mexico. I had given up on NM as it would have cost $7000 in the past. This year it would have been $1000 plus a lot of red tape. I decided not to which may or may not have been a good decision. 

In 2015 and 2016 I worked to increase the ability of interior designers, if properly trained and verified with testing, education and experience [to do more work, that at the time required an architect]. Some criticized me for creating more competition for me. 

It used to be that you could become a licensed architect with enough experience, even without a lot of education.  That unfortunately has changed. 

Some licenses are important. A doctor can make a mistake and someone dies. It is possible for an architect or engineer to wipe out a whole colosseum. All licenses are not bad. Too many or too hard to get is bad. It stops people's dreams. 

My dream at 15 was to be licensed architect by age 30. I beat that goal by 6 months. 

Some licenses are regulated to protect turf. Those should be simplified or eliminated. I have worked in the legislature to reduce some of these regulations. 

I know people that should be able to become an architect and can't. That should change. 

Many of these regulations are up to the state legislature. I will continue to do what I can to reduce the red tape while protecting health safety and welfare. 

We eliminated hair braiding as a required license. We need more changes. 

Fred C. Cox
For SLco District 2